Thursday, April 9, 2020

Spring is finally here!

In my last post, I wrote that I was hoping for spring. Well, it has finally come with its warm sunshine and beautiful blooms but now I'm hoping that life will go back to normal. I, like everyone else, am stuck in house under a shelter-in-place order from my governor because of the Covid 19 worldwide pandemic.

So far, I am mine are well. My sister and her family all got the virus and suffered with it for a couple of weeks but all recovered. I have an acquaintance who is not fairing as well.  His 23 year old daughter is currently in ICU on a ventilator because of the virus and many others I do not know have lost loved ones to the virus.

I see this compared to the 1918 flu and find myself wondering what life was like for them back then. Recently, my 91 year old dad told me about a crystal bowl his mother received as a wedding present. I asked when she got married and he said, "December 26, 1915." So my grandmother was a new wife during that pandemic. Now her son who was not born until 1928 is ninety one years old. I guess I should count my blessings that something like this has not happened in a hundred years.

My grandmother saw this flu, World War I (which her husband served in as a doctor), the Great Depression, World War II, and the illness and loss of her husband and one son at young ages. What a brave woman she must have been! I was named after her and am proud to be her namesake.

So, as I stay at home with television, computers, iphones, and a healthy family … I realize I have nothing to grumble about.

No comments:

Post a Comment