Thursday, February 11, 2010

Through My Kitchen Window


“…they are seeking a homeland. They aspire to a better land – a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”
Hebrews 11:14-16 (HCSB)

We are seeking a homeland – a better one than the one we have on earth; a heavenly one. But until then, I will have to settle for the world as I see it through my kitchen window.


It’s Valentine’s again

So it’s Valentine’s Day again; the day we celebrate love. In particular, we are celebrating the love between two people – a man and a woman. However, there are some who do not have a love interest in their life on this day.
My niece is a lawyer now but she has an undergraduate degree in drama and she can be quite funny. A few years ago I was privileged to be around her on Valentine’s Day as she complained of being alone on that day. She went into a funny impromptu monologue. She compared Valentine’s Day to a really bad audition. She explained, “You know how when you go to an audition, you walk into a room full of people who also want the part you are hoping to get. But in a regular audition, you know that everyone in this crowded room is going to go home empty handed except for one. Only one person will be cast and everyone else will be disappointed. Valentine’s Day on the other hand is like a really bad audition! In this audition, everyone in the crowded room is hoping for a card, or candy, or flowers but in this audition, four out of every five will win!! And there you are ...among the minority who doesn’t get a card, candy, or flowers. You watch as the names of nearly everyone around you is called. But no, in the end you find out that you are part of the group that goes home empty handed.”
This may sound sad but it was funny at the time. My niece was being melodramatic in her own impromptu comic routine and her audience loved it! Yet, despite the humor, I think of her words every Valentine’s Day. There is a poignant truth in them. So, this year I want to remind all those whose name wasn’t called in the really bad audition called Valentine’s Day that you do have a love. His name is Jesus and he is the lover of your soul. What he gives you is much better than cards, candy, or flowers. He gives you His everything. He purchased you for Himself with His blood.

Isaiah 38:17 says, “…but Thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for Thou hast cast all my sins behind Thy back.” (KJV)

And for all the rest of us (I include my self in this as I have been married to a wonderful man for over 30 yrs) …Happy Valentine’s Day! To this group, I say “Don’t forget the One who loves you most!”

1 comment: