Friday, October 6, 2017

Through my Window




I usually don’t write about current events on my blog. As a Christian writer, I try to use my writing to focus on the Lord or the things of the Lord. But last weeks’ horrendous tragedy ripped at my heart and I know it has deeply touched most of us.


A man, like the Las Vegas shooter, who would do such an unimaginable thing must have a heart filled with hate.

We have so much hate in our world today—people hating others who are different from them, or who hold apposing practices, beliefs, or political views. Sometimes we feel others’ hate for us and the things we hold dear, and we react in kind. (The people gunned down last week were at a Country music concert. I love Country music so this hits home for me. I feel that man’s hate against people like me and am tempted to hate back.)

There is a better way than to hate and to fill our minds with hateful thoughts. Philippians 4:8 says, “Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, think on these."
We can and should make a conscious effort to keep our minds focused on good things." Personally, I find that warm thoughts of people and things I love always makes me feel better too. Thinking on these make me want to smile at someone I meet in the grocery store instead of snarling at them.

For me good things might be fall scenery, a lit Christmas tree, laughter with family, or a fond memory. The Bible boils good down to an even more basic form in Micah 6:8 when it says, “He has shown Thee O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God.”

Do yourself and your fellow man a favor … think good thoughts today!

No comments:

Post a Comment