Thursday, June 11, 2015

Father's Day


Harriet Michael's photo.As Father’s Day approaches, I think of my father. How blessed I am to have been reared by a God-fearing man. And how blessed I am to still have him here on this earth.
Just a couple of weeks ago I sent some devotions that I have been contracted to write to him for editing. He is a writer too. Today I called to ask how the editing was coming and at 86 years old he told me he would be sending them to me via e-mail and was sorry he had not gotten them to me earlier. His reason for the delay? He and my 83 year old mother have been busy working in their yard and garden on the days that they have not worked at their part time jobs.
My father taught me many things but the most important lesson he ever gave was lived out before me in the way he lived his life.
Then too, I think of my Heavenly Father and the words to the song, “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” by Phillips, Craig, and Dean, comes to mind. Here are three of the verses:
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
           

2 comments:

  1. I love this story about your dad, Harriet. I can tell you that having a loving father is a wonderful treasure, and I am thankful you have that in your life. I'm even more thankful that you treasure the gift God gave you in your parents.

    I also love how you separated out the chorus from the song for your ending. It's perfect. You may even want to read this when you speak at Saturday's LCW meeting. If you get there early and write the words on the board, maybe you can get the group to sing too. :-)

    ReplyDelete