Saturday, February 15, 2014

Through My Kitchen Window



"Success comes to a writer, as a rule, so gradually that it is always something of a shock to him to look back and realize the heights to which he has climbed." -P.G. Wodehouse

I began my writing adventure in June of 2009 when I attended a writer’s conference. Prior to this I had never formally written anything. I had, however, written an unpublished manuscript.

You see, some years earlier at a time of great concern for someone I loved, I started journaling my thoughts on prayer. After three years of searching the scripture and recording my findings, I had so much information that I compiled it into a manuscript about prayer. This began my quest to become a published writer. My hope at the time was to someday have my manuscript published.

So, in June of 2009, I attended the Kentucky Writer’s Conference where I participated in a wonderful workshop by Lettie Kirkpatrick Burress on freelancing small pieces. I decided to try my hand at it. I sent my 1st submission out in August and received my 1st contract in November of that same year. The money I was paid for that 1st piece covered the cost of the writer’s conference and I knew it had been money well spent.

Today I have so many published pieces that it’s hard to keep count. I have over 75 published devotions in the following publications: The Upper Room, The Secret Place, Open Windows, Reflections, and Word Aflame. I also have articles and short stories which have appeared in publications by Lifeway, David C Cook Company, Focus on the Family, Standard Publishing Company, Bethany House, and more.

But did I ever get my manuscript published? No, not yet. However, I did enter it into a national competition, the 2011 Women of Faith Contest; where it was named one of only 30 finalists out of over 750 entries. So now I have decided to self publish it as Bible Studies. I only have half the manuscript re-written as Bible studies and for sale as e-books so far. I hope in time to get the rest listed for sale too. If interested, my e-books can be found on Lulu self publishing site. Put ‘Harriet Michael Prayer Warrior Guide’ in the search on that site and you will find them listed for $2.99 each.

This summer I will reach a new high in my writing career. I have been asked to lead workshops at the Kentucky Christian Writer’s Conference in Elizabethtown, KY. Here is the link. I’m excited and humbled to have been asked and I give God all the glory.





No comments:

Post a Comment